Since the choir's foundation, the Abbeydale Singers has performed at venues ranging from cathedrals, churches and community halls to hospitals, hotels, schools and universities. It has enjoyed considerable success in choral competitions at home and overseas and recently has undertaken an international tour every other year.
Memorable highlights include:
- Singing in St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin for their Millennium Service.
- Winning the prize for the choir which contributed most of the success of the Bangor International Music Festival.
- Singing in the Matthias Church in Buda and St Michael's Church in Pest on the 50th anniversary of the Hungarian uprising.
- Singing in the chapel at Chatsworth, raising money for the Edensor Church roof restoration fund.
- Winning the Huddersfield Centenary Trophy for the most outstanding choral performance in the prestigious 'Mrs Sunderland' Choral Competition with Ave Maria by Franz Biebl.
Their first CD 'A Fine Song for Singing' was released in 1996 and their most recent CD 'Christmas at Chatsworth' was released in November 2010 in association with Chatsworth.
The choir rehearses weekly at the Fulwood Old Chapel, Sheffield on a Thursday evening from 7:30pm to 9:45pm. If you are interested in joining the choir, please get in touch to arrange an audition or come along to a concert to see them in action.
The choir is available for formal and informal occasions, both indoor and outdoor - please get in touch to book the choir for your event.