Abbeydale Singers was formed by friends in Sheffield during 1986, under the direction of Kevin Haighton, and soon established a modus operandi with around 12 singers, able to accomplish at least eight part choral works for mixed voices. The choir has gradually expanded to our current size of 35 members, giving an excellent balance between younger and more experienced voices.
In January 2019, Kevin stood down as Musical Director of the choir, after over 32 years of dedicated service.
In September 2019, Lucy Hope took over the baton and is now leading the choir in our new season for 2020.
Since the choir’s foundation, the Abbeydale Singers has performed at venues ranging from cathedrals, churches and community halls to hospitals, hotels, schools and universities. It has enjoyed considerable success in choral competitions at home and overseas and recently has undertaken an international tour every other year.
Memorable highlights include:
- Singing in St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin for their Millennium Service.
- Winning the prize for the choir which contributed most of the success of the Bangor International Music Festival.
- Singing in the Matthias Church in Buda and St Michael’s Church in Pest on the 50th anniversary of the Hungarian uprising.
- Singing in the chapel at Chatsworth, raising money for the Edensor Church roof restoration fund.
- Winning the Huddersfield Centenary Trophy for the most outstanding choral performance in the prestigious ‘Mrs Sunderland’ Choral Competition with Ave Maria by Franz Biebl.
The choir gives two major concerts each year, one in the summer and the other at Christmas. It also has a strong commitment to the development of young musicians in the region, and through these concerts has provided a platform to young soloists, many of whom have gone onto successful musical careers.
Their first CD ‘A Fine Sonf for Singing’ was released in 1996 and their most recent CD ‘Christmas at Chatsworth’ was released in November 2010 in association with Chatsworth.
The choir rehearses weekly at the Fulwood Old Chapel, Sheffield on a Thursday evening from 7:30pm to 9:45pm. If you are interested in joining the choir, please get in touch to arrange an audition or come along to a concert to see them in action.
The choir is available for formal and informal occasions, both indoor and outdoor – please get in touch to book the choir for your event.